• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ047: Liko and Nyarote, Put All Your Heart Into It

Today, we have all learned one thing...

Don't trust Coral to cook food for you because it's only guaranteed to end in tears.

Pretty good introduction to one of the Paldea gyms and it's nice to see Murdock spending time helping out as well too.

Coral always love to screw things over no matter what it takes. Ashamed that Liko lost to Katy despite of Terastal power up. However, the match is not about win or lose is about the power up tryout. Liko still needed to be improve. Not a bad episode. Just alright.

Overall rating: B-

Coral carried the first half of this episode. Seriously, as soon as she appeared, it was one great moment after another. I loved Quaxly's reactions to her. She remains the only watchable member of the Explorers. Anyway, I liked the small details when the kids were snacking, like Quaxly being more than happy to share with Tinkatink, meanwhile Wattrel was eyeing Fuecoco's food, prompting him to finish quickly.

The gym battle between Liko and Katy was pretty good. I'm especially happy with the fact that Liko lost. Not gonna lie, I expected her to turn things around and win, but thankfully not. She and Floragato can afford a loss, especially since she still passed her test. I do hope Roy and Dot win their battles though, because they need it way more. I'll give this a 8/10 mainly for Coral.

Coral carried the first half of this episode. Seriously, as soon as she appeared, it was one great moment after another. I loved Quaxly's reactions to her. She remains the only watchable member of the Explorers. Anyway, I liked the small details when the kids were snacking, like Quaxly being more than happy to share with Tinkatink, meanwhile Wattrel was eyeing Fuecoco's food, prompting him to finish quickly.

The gym battle between Liko and Katy was pretty good. I'm especially happy with the fact that Liko lost. Not gonna lie, I expected her to turn things around and win, but thankfully not. She and Floragato can afford a loss, especially since she still passed her test. I do hope Roy and Dot win their battles though, because they need it way more. I'll give this a 8/10 mainly for Coral.
Ngl kind off bummed Liko still passed her test. Would have given her sn incentive to train and come back at a later time.

Well, Liko's test was to learn/know when to Terrastalize and that she did correctly. I wonder if Brassius and Iono have the same task or they'll be different.

I'm starting to understand the Tera Course now. I'm guessing Katy, Brassius, Iono will do the Basics Test, while Tulip, Rhyme and Kofu do the 2nd level, Grusha left for a more important battle and Larry is E4 anyway. So everyone gets to be showcased.

I really enjoyed how Katy was portrayed. Super capable in battles and the way she handled Sandwich was hilarious.

At first, I was a bit bummed that most gym battles would be 1-1, but this one was well done and didn't end too quickly, so I think it's just going to improve while moving to stronger gyms.

The first half of this episode had a whole "life lesson" thing, but it's SO SMART!!!!! "Every battle is a real battle"—there is no equivalent to diving into things first-hand if you want to become more confident. And the episode's story leads into this message so well!!! :bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:

Well, that was disappointing... It's been 16 years since Dawn's gym battle and she lost and now Liko loses as well?

Why not make the gyms an arc for Liko and have Roy do some other competition? I'm sure they could think of something else for him to do, maybe some kind of contest involving singing or performing with Fuecoco? I get that they want the male characters to do stuff too but they could always give Roy the same amount of focus that Dawn had in DP, after all she still battled sometimes even if she was a contest girl.

Or maybe bring back contests (with battling) and have Liko do that while Roy does gyms? I don't actually want that but it would at least be better than nothing. Having both protagonists do gyms while simultaneously not actually having a real badge quest sounds messy.

Once again "Sandwich" misses out on food with a limited supply. Then she has a cake-making contest with Liko that ends in total failure for the former and success for the latter. Liko loses the battle against Kaede but passes her basic Terastal test (the nominal requirement being to put her heart in it, really she should pass just for using the Tera Orb properly). It is now Roy's turn to probably lose a battle but successfully Terastalize Fuecoco.

Once again "Sandwich" misses out on food with a limited supply. Then she has a cake-making contest with Liko that ends in total failure for the former and success for the latter. Liko loses the battle against Kaede but passes her basic Terastal test (the nominal requirement being to put her heart in it, really she should pass just for using the Tera Orb properly). It is now Roy's turn to probably lose a battle but successfully Terastalize Fuecoco.
I feel like Roy will win his battle. It's his rematch against Brassius, and he's training with Nemona. He'll probably lose to Nemona but win his battle against Brassius. Also I know type advantage isn't everything obviously, but he's kitted out to deal with Sudowoodo. He'll probably have an "aha" moment when Brassius Terastalizes to Grass and pick up on using Fire type moves, which would probably earn him a pass on its own.

I’m glad Sango saved the first half of this episode. Her antics are funny and while I wasn’t particularly interested in the cake challenge at least her personality made it bearable to watch. Katie was portrayed just like i’d imagine she would be. In regards to the battle I’m lowkey glad that Teddiursa won lol. Besides, it doesn’t matter if the challengers lose or win because it’s not a gym challenge.

It seems that Sango's failed cake was meant to look like Glalie.

cake.jpg

Today, we have all learned one thing...

Don't trust Coral to cook food for you because it's only guaranteed to end in tears.

Pretty good introduction to one of the Paldea gyms and it's nice to see Murdock spending time helping out as well too.
Wonder if we'll see other Rising Volt Tacklers doing jobs around Paldea to make money while the Brave Olivine is under repair.

I'm guessing we'll still see the RVTs doing side-jobs and such to get money because they are probably super in the red trying to fix the airship. They were already straight broke just maintaining it while it was in generally good condition. Now it has a Rayquaza-sized hole in the side of it and no blimp.

Sango is easily the best member of the Explorers and its not even remotely close. More Sango, please. I like how everyone already knows that she is Sango, but just go along with it.

I'm guessing Roy will likely win his match. He already lost to Brassius once, so it would make sense for him to win now that he has gained more experience. Dot I could see going either way, but I feel llike this is her first battle of this caliber and she already has a connection to Iono, so I could see her winning. She is at a disadvantage with Quaxly, though.

Also, it seems like Floragato, Fuecoco, and Quaxly will still be taking up all the focus. I'd like the battles to be 2v2 so we can at least see Hatenna, Wattrel, and Tinkatink get some attention. We finally got see Wattrel exhibit some of his personality in this episode when he was eyeing up Fuecoco's food.

I liked the whole sweet/bitter personality that Katy has going on, seeing her going from friendly to just passive-agressively looking down at Sango is funny. Looking forward to the next battles!

Decent episode that had its moments. Sandwich being herself, Katy being menacing, Teddiursa's very smart strategy, the reveal that the rest of the RVT will pop up in random jobs....It was a nice showcase of a town & gym leader.

However, I feel like it confirms that this arc will not be as character development-driven as expected. I wasn't expecting Liko to get depressed about losing the battle or something like that, but showing her not being satisfied with result or wanting to improve would have been nice. But nope, it's treated as a victory anyway and they all move on and the next episode gives a very similar vibe, it feels like the main duo are getting less and less chances of development as time goes on.

Ngl kind off bummed Liko still passed her test. Would have given her sn incentive to train and come back at a later time.

While I agree that would be interesting, I imagine they don't want to spend too much time on one gym leader since they're implying we're going to see them all. We likely will only have around 20 or so episodes for this arc, plus Roy and Dot need their battles as well, so having to do rematches would take time away from that. Besides, it's not like it's an official gym quest, so I don't mind the kids getting passes even if they lose the actual battle.

Back
Top Bottom